Portobello, a large mushroom, with brownish gills on the underside is used to give earthy, meaty, and rich texture in several dishes. One Portobello mushroom has approximately 25 calories with no fat or cholesterol.
This veggie burger is super delicious and easy to make with the texture of meat that even meatatarian would enjoy and the taste is beyond belief. Replacing meat with mushrooms is also an easy way to make less calorie food.
Portobello mushroom caps are first marinated with spices, lime juice, and sauce to give further flavor and then grill and topped with cheese, slices of onion, red or green lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, avocado, and many more that make this a treat.
How to cook Portobello mushroom cap
To cook a Portobello mushroom you have to brush its caps with olive oil and season it with salt and pepper on both sides. Place these caps on the baking sheet and bake it for 5-10 minutes. The time of roasting depends upon the size of the cap. You want a tender cap, so the longer you roast the cap, the more they’ll release the moisture.
Nutrients and calories
1 Portobello mushroom provides you 25 calories while 1 Portobello burger provides you 169 calories. Mushroom has no fat and cholesterol but with the addition of olive oil for roasting, they have a total 2g of fats. Carbohydrates 9 gram, protein 9 gram, sugar 8 gram, and cholesterol with 0mg are present in the burger.
For making a Portobello burger you need the following ingredients
- 4 completely washed Portobello mushroom caps
- One-fourth cup of vinegar
- Burger buns
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 and a half teaspoon of dried basil for flavor
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese which is optional
- Salt, spices, and pepper to taste
- Take mushroom caps, brush them with oil and roast them on the baking dish
- In a bowl take vinegar, dries basil and oregano, oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Mix all of them and pour this on the mushrooms. Marinate the caps for 15 minutes at room temperature by turning the caps twice.
- Preheat the grill at medium to heat which doesn’t allow the mushroom to stick with grills. Place all the marinated mushrooms over the grill and pour the remaining mixture of the marinating on the caps. Grill them for 5-8 minutes on each side. Brush them with olive oil on both sides
- Top them with cheese and place them between the burger buns and serve them hot.
This Portobello burger is a complete dish for vegans. Anyone who eats plants and vegetables can add this dish into their diet to get a full healthy diet like beef burgers to provide you. These mushrooms completely replace them with beef and meat and have less cholesterol and fats than regular hamburgers.
It is a note for vegetarians, go to the restaurant and enjoy their vegan burger.
Found this awesome clip on how mushroom production is done.